Saturday, August 15, 2015

Imagine that!!

I love workshops! Attending them and leading them. Learning stuff, teaching stuff, discussing the material, reporting back to the group, being collaborative ... Designing a program, researching material, writing hand-outs, making a Power Point presentation, organizing different methods of presenting material ... It lights my fire!


source

And at today's workshop I found out why.


The subject of today's workshop was "Strengths Finder" - an assessment tool designed by Gallup using extensive research from their polling, which helps you determine your strengths. Originally written for the business community, it's also applicable to churches or anywhere there are teams or groups working together. 


It was pointed out that from our earliest assessments (read 'school report cards') we are encouraged to take note of, and work on, those subjects where we got a C or D, or a U. We are supposed to work on our weaknesses and improve those grades. But strength psychology reverses this and encourages us to build on our strengths.


But, hey, first you have to know what your strengths are and for some of us that can be difficult.

Certainly there are an abundance of psychological tests out there -- tests to find your role in a team, whether you are an introvert or an extravert, or how your birth order affects your marriage. The Meyers-Briggs test comes to mind. 

But Strengths Finder assesses your strengths, gives you input on where those strengths can be applied, and strategies for using them to help build whatever group or organization you are in, amongst other things. 


The pastor leading our workshop also told us that they use this assessment in their premarital counseling and shared stories of how it had helped marriages, even one where the couple had been married for 60 years!


No, this isn't a paid endorsement!! But after doing my assessment and sitting in the workshop, I realized why I love workshops so much - it's one facet of my top strength, Learner. The description fits me like the proverbial glove. Looking at the 'ideas for action' for Learner will help me use and build on this strength, and know how I can more effectively serve at Church, in my community, and perhaps even in my marriage.


Do you know what your strengths are? 


And does anyone need me to lead a workshop?!

Sue


No comments:

Post a Comment